You need a new furnace and air conditioner. Uhghhhhh.
There’s not a doubt in the world you do. How do you know? When you turn on either the heat or A/C, nothing…no fan, no hot, no cold. It’s a sure thing. It’s dead. And, five HVAC companies have told you so.
So now, you have to hire someone…some company. And you’re absolutely certain they are all out to get you. Like most, you’re the nervous type when contracting out home services. It’s no wonder. You hear stories, read these alarming reviews online, your neighbor repeats the story about how his new, $10,000 system shut down a month after it was installed, and the HVAC company was nowhere to be found. Bunch of crooks they all are!!! Okay. Wow. Take a chill. There’s a solution.
Call one of the HVAC companies that’s on your list and tell them you need a completely new system: furnace, A/C, thermostat…the whole shebang. They will come. For sure. No doubt.
So now, the company’s sales person has pulled up and is walking to the door. Let the games begin.
So, how will you know if an HVAC company is worth its salt?
They will sit down and learn about your situation, inspect your current system and then sit down with you again (the better companies want all the decision makers at the table) to describe what they’ve found and some potential solutions.
Additionally, they will also give you a decent account of who they are and their history. They will ask about budget considerations, how many people live in the home, lifestyle, if someone has allergies or asthma, if there are pets, if there are plans to expand the size of the home any time soon, and more.
You know, actually ‘learn by listening’ to help them provide a real solution, based on facts.
Did they discuss the following?
- Certified technicians
- Time to complete the job and when they could start
- Guarantees and warranties that are believable
- High-efficiency systems and what that means to you
- Annual maintenance programs
- The brand of equipment they sell and install and why
- Proof that they do a lot of work in your neighborhood
Were they ____?
- Well-spoken or at least clear and decisive
- Dressed the part (clean company shirts and/or hats)
- In a van or truck that was clean and had the company logo and phone number
- Off their cell phones during the meeting
- Wearing shoe covers
- Nice/pleasant and looked you in the eyes when talking
- Using a laptop or tablet
- Sharing information using full-color print materials
You now have some way to gauge what you are looking for. A reputable company that asks, listens, listens some more, and looks, acts and lives the part of what HVAC professionals should be.
You’ll be able to tell.
Drake Heating & Air provides reliable heating and air services to residents throughout Dayton. Our factory-trained technicians have 25+ years of experience. Call us at (937) 472-0640 or schedule an appointment online.Huddle Up, Get Your House Game Ready for Fall » « Don’t Expect Your Dog to Adjust Your Thermostat