Winter brings lower temperatures and while Ohio does not have as extreme of a climate like our northern or southern neighbors, we still want to be cozy in our homes with our family and four-legged friends. And that means having running water.
Here are some tips on how to prevent frozen pipes.
- Insulate your pipes. Exposed pipes are most likely to freeze.
- Keep your garage door closed.
- Let the cold water drip from your faucets.
- Seal leaks and drafts that allow cold air near your pipes.
- Disconnect your outdoor hoses.
- Keep your thermostat set at a consistent temperature both day and night.
- Open cabinets and doors to allow heat to get to pipes behind doors.
If your pipes freeze:
- Leave your faucet turned on and call your local plumber.
- Do not use an open heat source to thaw them and risk a fire.
- If your pipes have burst, turn off your water at the main shutoff valve and leave the water faucet turned on.
Concerned your HVAC system isn’t preventing your pipes from freezing? Contact Drake to schedule a technician visit.5 Ways to Love on your System » « Keep your Furry Friends Safe this Winter