Having your air conditioner break down can be inconvenient, uncomfortable and stressful. You may be simultaneously worrying about how to keep your home comfortable without cool air, as well as thinking about the cost of a new unit. That’s why the best time to shop for an air conditioner is not when it stops working and can’t be repaired, although this is the most common time most homeowners seem to replace their unit.
A few signs that you may need a replacement include:
• Unit is older than 10-15 years
• Unit is not operating efficiently
• Unit is not cooling evenly
It may seem weird to shop for a new air conditioner before your current one breaks down but that’s exactly what you should do. Shopping before your air conditioner breaks down gives you more time to do your research, you won’t have to feel rushed into making a purchase decision. Secondly, you can shop during the “off season,” which in the heating and cooling industry is during the winter and early spring.
During March, April and May in Ohio, it’s cool enough that people aren’t thinking about turning on their air conditioning and they’re not running their heat as much either, which is why many HVAC companies aren’t as busy and some manufacturers run specials on equipment.
Purchasing a new air conditioning unit during the off season, before your old unit breaks down is just the start, it’s always a good idea to keep in mind that the least expensive deal may not always be the best deal. It’s important to consider not only the upfront cost of a new unit but also the energy efficiency of the unit. A new unit can last up to 20 years, if you save even 10% per month in energy costs with an energy efficient unit, those savings can add up to a lot of money.
What you’ll want to research before your air conditioner purchase:
• Size of air conditioner- An air conditioning unit that’s too large for your home will use too much energy. If your unit is too small it won’t be able to keep up. Contact an HVAC professional to determine the best solution for your home.
• Current air conditioning system setup- Do you have duct work already in place? Do you need a split system, mini split ductless or a heat pump? Again, a professional HVAC professional can help you determine the best solution for your home.
• Air conditioning features wanted- Do you want to be able to control the temperatures in different rooms of your home individually? Do you want to control temperatures remotely? Or are you more concerned about energy efficiency? New technologies offer a wide variety of features that may add to the up-front cost but may save you money in the long run.
At Drake Heating & Air, we understand that it can be somewhat daunting to consider an air conditioner replacement and that’s why we are here to help. It can be difficult to know whether or not you need to repair or replace your air conditioner. If your air conditioning unit is consistently breaking down and in need of repairs or has stopped working altogether, we may recommend that you look into replacing the unit. The first step is to reach out to our Dayton AC technicians to have us inspect your unit and determine if a replacement is necessary.
Sometimes an emergency air conditioner replacement is not avoidable, just remember if you need an air conditioner right away keep these things in mind:
• Correct size
• Duct situation
• Call a professional HVAC company